- Provide an overview of ESL students in nursing programs as an educational issue that impacts the teaching environment.
- Discuss barriers to success among ESL students in nursing programs.
- Discuss the interventions that promote the success and prevent attrition of ESL students in nursing programs.
- Evaluate the outcomes of intervention programs.
- Nursing programs are rigorous and quite demanding, especially for ESL students since instructions are often given in English.
- Aspects such as language, academic expectations, and culture remain a major challenge for nurse educators.
- Boruff (2012) reaffirms that the issue of attrition among minority population, primarily ESL students have been a challenge to nurse educators for decades.
- Across the United States, many nursing institutions are admitting a high number of ESL learners (Sung, 2015).
- Quote paper
- Patrick Kimuyu (Author), 2018, Programmatic and Teaching Initiatives that Promote the Success and Prevent Attrition of English as a Second Language (ESL) Students in Nursing Programs, Munich, GRIN Verlag, https://www.grin.com/document/388760